My husband went to a Phillies game last week and raved about this pickle dip that someone made for the tailgaiting festivities. Apparently it was just pickles and whipped cream cheese. And apparently it was quite delicious — he ate most of it. (He’s fallen off the vegan bandwagon a little — I’m working on him…).
He talked about this pickle dip all weekend and I said I’d try to recreate it using vegan ingredients. I knew my version would be a bit different, taste- and texture-wise, since I haven’t found a vegan cream cheese that I like. I’ve tried several and they’ve all tasted funky to me.
I knew a little bit of culinary experimentation was in order to find the right combo of ingredients to make this dip work and here’s what I came up with.
What you’ll need:
- 1 (12-oz.) tub vegan sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 8 oz. firm tofu, cubed
- dill pickles
- With a mixer, combine sour cream and mayo in a large bowl.
- Squeeze water out of tofu and process in a food processor until a ball forms.
- Add tofu to sour cream mixture and stir well.
- Place pickles (as many as you like, depending on your taste!) in a food processor and give a few pulses. You don’t want the pieces to be too small — try not to go any smaller than relish size.
- Drain pickles and discard liquid. (It’s good drinking, you know!) Add pickles to sour cream mixture and stir well.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving with tortilla chips or veggies.
This recipe is a super simple one and one that I think would be a hit at parties and get-togethers. Who doesn’t like pickles?! You can add fewer or more pickles, depending on your preference. We’re pickle-lovers in this household, so I added about a cup and a half’s worth — maybe more. I didn’t really measure. If you want to get a little crazy, you can try throwing in some other stuff — jalapenos, red pepper flakes, fresh herbs… The sky’s the limit. This dip is also a great way to sneak some tofu into the bellies of your picky kids or your tofu-hating friends. They’ll never know it’s in there — trust me!
Oh, and hubby’s reaction to my veganized version of his new found food obsession? He gave me some flack at first and said that the texture was way off, but I think his exact words were, “You killed it, babe!,” as he downed just about the entire container. 🙂
And there you have it! More proof that with a little imagination and experimentation, you can veganize just about anything.